Thursday, 20 September 2012

Be A Blessing

Are you kidding me?  How am I supposed to bless anyone when I am up to my eyeballs in work and to-do's and crisis?

Well hear me out, they don't as much effort as you really think.

Be A Blessing In This Season By...

1. Update people who love you!!  Do it well and frequently concerning current health and circumstances.  Utilize social media so people know how you are doing and how to pray

2.  Be open to questions.  Many will not understand the medical jargon but you can educate about the particular afflicting illness and spread the word about how to advocate for treatments or a cure!

3. Consider serving as a support for someone else.  This one is not always possible but here is what happened to us:  We learned of an 11 year old who was diagnosed with severe Crohn's at the exact time as Ryan.  His parents were desperate for someone who could identify and as Ryan is a cool 26 year old, he would have an incredible influence and ministry to this young kid

4.  People are watching so live well.  You are being watched more than you know in this.  Choose to influence well for Christ.

5.  Allow people to help you.  Have you ever served someone?  How did you feel?  Probably great right?!  Well allow other people that blessing and open up yourself to being served.  Don't rob someone of the experience of loving and helping you with meals, housework, financially or some other way.

That's not too bad right?  I encourage you to take a step into one of these ideas today and be a blessing to others in this season.  It's one simple step to turn outward and point to the Lord in this.

Allowing our friends to bless us with this scrumptious dinner? I'd be happy to :)

With JOY,
Ryan & Carly

2 comments:

  1. I agree with these 100%. Many people comment on the blessing that they receive from the positivity they receive from watching me suffer so much, yet still singing God's praises. Why wouldn't I? He is still my Savior, and if anything...my illness makes me cling to him all the more. But, people do watch those of us with chronic illness (and the caregivers/spouses) with hawkeyes...to see how we will respond. The one thing that you mentioned that I have had (and still to this day continue to have) is accepting help from others. Prior to getting sick...I was always helping others...my career was centered on helping others. So, it is hard for me to accept. It wasn't until just this year that I allowed my Sunday school class to fix us meals during my thyroid surgery. That has definitely been the hardest thing for me, for sure. But, you are definitely right about it...would should accept it graciously. I just have a hard time with it. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin you are a real life example! People are blessed not only by helping those suffering, but they are also blessed by our responses to God and others in a time of hardship.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts-they are always welcome.

      Delete