Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Lessons In Dependence {Devotional}

I believe the Bible to be perfectly attuned to our experiences and current circumstances-thank goodness because I need some comfort right now!  Amen??  As I reflect on my current experience as a wife and caregiver, these words in the book of Zephaniah really convict me,

...She does not trust in the Lord; she does not draw near to her God.

Zephaniah 3:2

Do you relate at all to this?  In the hardest, darkest seasons do these words describe you?  They do me.  Very, very accurately actually.

I have drawn into myself and away from God.  I've put hope and trust in my own abilities, doctor's, nurses, medications, family, friends, and the medical industry.  Everywhere besides where it should be.

Sometimes the LAST person I'm trusting is God.  It stings to admit that as someone who claims to know and love Jesus.  Thank goodness we don't have to be perfect to follow Him or I would be out of luck!

I'm reflecting on these questions below with a whole lot of imperfection to boast about. I admit a very strong tendency to be a wife, women, and caregiver who does not trust in God and does not draw near to Him.  But lets see if God can change that...I know if we ask, He answers.

Lessons In Dependence: A Devotional on Zephaniah 3

1) Read Zephaniah 3 in full, first out loud and then to yourself.  Pause on verse 2 a moment and in a journal, confess and record how you've sinned (been less than perfect) in trusting God and drawing near to Him.
2)  Now rip that paper up, throw it away and rejoice in FULL forgiveness!!  Amen!
3)  When reflecting on this season in 10 years or so...How do you want to be described and remembered?  What do you want to be true of you in this time? Think of attributes or character traits.  Reflect on Proverbs 31 if you need inspiration.
4)  Why do you think God would want us to draw near to Him, to trust him in this difficult season ?
5)  Please read Zephaniah 3:14-20 several times.  Both to yourself and out loud.  What is your favorite part of the joy and restoration described?  

I wish we were together to share, but here is a peek into two of my answers:

#3.  When I am 33 years old, maybe I have a few kids and I can remember this season as just a memory I want a few things to be true of me:  I want to say that I trusted God deeply, holding EVERYTHING with an open hand.  I want others to be inspired to a committed marriage, servanthood, and being a godly spouse.  I want to be able to say, "I was imperfect, and a heck of a hot mess, but by the Holy Spirit's ability God remained as my #1 priority and loved Ryan better because of that!"

#5.  My favorite part of those end verses in Zeph 3 is the latter part of verse 17 (see below).  How beautiful.  He brings joy, peace, and quiet in the calamity and unrest of a health crisis.  I want to be quieted with His love.  Thankfully, it never runs out.

...He will quiet you with his love

Zephaniah 3:17

One Thing Remains by Jesus Culture on Grooveshark


With JOY,
Ryan & Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment