Reading through 1 Chronicles this morning, I was brought to a very interesting and "emotional" part of scripture. The Bible doesn't miss anything we go through!
8 And David and all Israel were celebrating before God with all their might, with song andlyres and harps and tambourines and cymbals and trumpets.
9 And when they came to the threshing floor of Chidon, Uzzah put out his hand to take hold of the ark, for the oxen stumbled. 10 And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he put out his hand to the ark, and he died there before God.11 And David was angry because the Lord had broken out against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-uzza[d] to this day. 12 And David was afraid of God that day,
1 Chronicles 13:8-12
There is SO much to say about this very rich passage but I don't want to get sidetracked because my real focus falls on David's emotions. Did you catch that in verse 8? That David was rejoicing with all his might-literally dancing with everything in him and banging on his tambourine-awesome!
But between verses 8 to 11 and 12 we see some very different emotions. David was angry with the Lord and he was also afraid of God that day.
This so reminds me of what we experience with chronic illness. You and your spouse might be rejoicing one day with all your might "Thank you Lord for the clear test results!" or "Praise God for a good day!". For me it's true that I can rejoice with all my might but sometimes it's not long after that elation that, like David, I can experience the very opposite of that positive emotion...
Anger, frustration, confusion, bitterness. "Lord why is he in pain again when last week was so good?" or "I'm so mad that our plans have been changed again because my spouse doesn't feel well"
I spur you on today to know you are healthy and normal to experience a wide array of emotions about the illness, towards God, towards your spouse, and even at yourself. You certainly are called to have control over your emotions, and the Spirit filled life enables that. Act on your emotions appropriately and let me encourage you to remain centered on Christ no matter what you experience.
But today if you swing from rejoicing to anger or if you are on cloud nine this week and next month in the dumps... be assured that it is OK. Really. David, who was called a man after God's own heart was there. And Ryan and I have been there too. Be blessed today in your emotions
Questions for you to consider about emotions:
1. What is one emotion you are struggling with? Process it with the Lord
2. How can you rejoice well and be angry healthfully?
3. Finally, what is just simply one unchanging, attribute of God that you can praise Him for?
With JOY,
Ryan & Carly
Thank you for this post. Sometimes I beat myself up for not being in check of my emotions ALL of the time. My life is the full plate, burn the candle at both ends type of life no matter how much I try to change that. When I get sleep deprived is when I struggle, because I get irritable. I tend to just start sending people away when I feel like that so I don't take it out on them. When I am feeling tired, irritable, angry, or other negative emotions, it helps to just go to God and talk it out with Him, and ask His mercy to cover any hurt my words or actions may cause.
ReplyDeleteSo much grace is waiting for you friend! It's certainly acceptable that we would experience the emotions, but like you mentioned, it's important that we give it to God and not act on our flesh. I'm so glad people like David were not perfectly put together but show us how to imperfectly but effectively live out the walks we're called to. SO glad you are here today!
Delete