When you're newly married you kind of expect ease don't you? I know I did. I'm so naive to what the Lord is doing instead.
Just weeks before Ryan was diagnosed his company asked Ryan and I to prayerfully consider moving to the Dominican Republic for several months. Ryan is an Engineer and the company he works for provides sustainable clean water treatment systems and the gospel to developing countries. So would we consider it? HECK YES! We made plans, started dreaming, announced it via Facebook (where all things become official), and rejoiced. Our dream is to live overseas-it is written deeply in both our hearts.
And then Ryan got sick. So very, severely sick.
But what grounded us and stopped bitterness from creeping because of our changed life and plans was simply...gratefulness. I make plans but the Lord determines my steps (Amen, Proverbs 16:9).
So while I never expected to be married less than 2 years when Ryan's diagnosis came or that our adventurous, international plans would be severely trampled...I realize that my view of marriage, young or old, and my life, smooth or rocky, are up to the Lord. Believing that ease is what I deserve or that my plans truly were good enough (aka: Come on Lord, why would you stop us from doing mission work in another country?!). I obviously was disillusioned.
So join in me in listing as many things as you can to be thankful for today. I believe gratefulness will squelch any hint of self pity or confusion about what we are called to, especially in illness.
Grateful for...
A tender hearted husband
Health insurance
Being in the USA at the time of diagnosis
Support
Computers and internet to connect
Each other
Young marriage tested and refined
Wise, educated doctors
A home we love so Ryan can rest
Woman that surround and encourage me
Men that build up and support Ryan
The blessing of technology
Gaining new perspective from illness
Learning to prefer God's plan anyway
Embracing the complex instead of wanting the simple
Coffee
Dinner prepared and dropped off
Sweet prayers
Community
Harpo (our golden retriever) licking Ryan to comfort him
Sitting
Transportation
Blogs to connect
And Jesus-steadfast Jesus who is our only hope and the true healer
What are you anxious about? "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 2yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Matt 6:28-29
With JOY,
R&C
No comments:
Post a Comment