For months I thought I had to embrace and love the disease with positivity and open arms. It is crucially important not to waste your illness and Ryan has a very interesting post about that coming soon.
For 4 months I didn't really direct any significant negativity or dislike towards Ryan's disease. But the truth is I hate your guts Crohn's (no pun intended) and I have had some ugly thoughts about you. While I'm not to reject what God has designed and ordained for us, I see no reason to pretend like you're something good, nice, or welcome. Be warned Crohn's: your stay with us is short. We're doing everything in our power to BOOT you!
Why not write a letter today to whatever it is that has taken your health or your spouse's for this time? Don't sugar coat it-your goal was not to write an impressive letter of niceness. Just write down your heart. It's healing and you're allowed to be angry. Trust me, here is my sassy letter from July 2012 to the chronic illness that intruded on our lives too long ago:
Dear Crohn's,
Let me just start by saying I hate you. Now don't take offense at that. It's true and you know you deserve it.
You waltzed into our life almost 16 weeks ago and have made things miserable. Is there a bigger word than miserable? Because that's the kind of thing you are capable of. You wrecked my husband's body, you tore up his intestines, you took 40 lbs from him that he didn't want (or need!) to lose. You made him sick, you made him tired, you caused him unbearable pain. That is something we can never forgive you for.
As if that weren't enough you took away my husband's ability to work. And walk. And sit. And even eat for awhile. What is wrong with you Crohn's!?!
It's because of you that we missed a lot of important events. We weren't around when our friends found out they were pregnant, we've missed weddings and birthdays, Ryan's 26th birthday was no fun, our 2 year anniversary went pretty terribly, and you stole our dream of moving out of the country this summer. But you gave us the pleasure of 2 surgeries last month. Thanks for that.
But now, Crohn's this newest stunt is the last straw! We had a very nice mini-vacation planned. We were headed to Keystone this weekend where relaxation, and relief awaited us. But here you come, rearing your ugly head and take it all away. You got what you wanted Crohn's...our weekend is canceled. Are you happy?
Way to take a giant dump on our lives Crohn's.
If this wasn't a family blog I would call you some unrepeatable names. But you already know what I think about you. You might have taken away a lot from us. But you don't take away our hope, you don't take away our Jesus, and you don't take away that Ryan and I have each other. There are some things you can never affect.
With greatest disgust,
Carly Decker
Let me just start by saying I hate you. Now don't take offense at that. It's true and you know you deserve it.
You waltzed into our life almost 16 weeks ago and have made things miserable. Is there a bigger word than miserable? Because that's the kind of thing you are capable of. You wrecked my husband's body, you tore up his intestines, you took 40 lbs from him that he didn't want (or need!) to lose. You made him sick, you made him tired, you caused him unbearable pain. That is something we can never forgive you for.
As if that weren't enough you took away my husband's ability to work. And walk. And sit. And even eat for awhile. What is wrong with you Crohn's!?!
It's because of you that we missed a lot of important events. We weren't around when our friends found out they were pregnant, we've missed weddings and birthdays, Ryan's 26th birthday was no fun, our 2 year anniversary went pretty terribly, and you stole our dream of moving out of the country this summer. But you gave us the pleasure of 2 surgeries last month. Thanks for that.
But now, Crohn's this newest stunt is the last straw! We had a very nice mini-vacation planned. We were headed to Keystone this weekend where relaxation, and relief awaited us. But here you come, rearing your ugly head and take it all away. You got what you wanted Crohn's...our weekend is canceled. Are you happy?
Way to take a giant dump on our lives Crohn's.
If this wasn't a family blog I would call you some unrepeatable names. But you already know what I think about you. You might have taken away a lot from us. But you don't take away our hope, you don't take away our Jesus, and you don't take away that Ryan and I have each other. There are some things you can never affect.
With greatest disgust,
Carly Decker
The sign I'd love to post outside our house so Crohn's knows it is NEVER welcome!
With JOY (and disgust to you Crohn's),
Ryan & Carly
No comments:
Post a Comment