Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Am I Forgotten? {Devotional}

A miserable thought surrounding chronic illness can often be that of feeling forgotten.  By God or by others.  I would encourage you today that you are KNOWN and remembered, but I can't convince you.

Let the truth of the Bible wash over you and remind you of His love with these words...


Am I Forgotten {Devotional}
Please read the following Psalm twice.  Once aloud.  Once just to yourself.

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
    How long will you hide your face from me?

How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Psalm 13

I have very genuinely asked the Lord if he has forgotten about us.  There was not a prayer ever prayed before that broke my heart like that one.  In the midst of decreasing health and unknowns, the enemy lied to me and said, "You are forgotten."  But I know better.

In the book of Psalms, about 1/3 of the writings are full of cries of anguish, sorrow, heart break, and raw anger.  Even those very specific writings were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Every word of scripture is God breathed and glorifying to Him.  So that would lead me to believe that our anger, even that directed right at the Lord, is glorifying when we pour out our hearts to Him.

Consider these questions and process the rawness of Psalm 13 with us...

1. How and when have you felt forgotten as a sufferer of illness?
2. How and when have you felt forgotten as a caregiver?
3. What is true about God no matter how we feel?  So often our emotions are not reliable  Please read the below listing of God's wonderful attributes to remind you...
4.  Find the verse that corresponds to one of the attributes that most speaks to your heart and make a note of it in your Bible or journal.  Reflect on it often this week
5.  Close your time with the Lord today asking for eyes to see more of His character this week, and reminders of his faithful character desire our unreliable circumstances.

Attributes of God sourced from: Beholdingglory.com



Psalm 13 by Shane & Shane on Grooveshark

With JOY,
Ryan & Carly

2 comments:

  1. This is very applicable even to someone thats isn't suffering from illness or caregiving! This really helped me! I am glad i moseyed on over to this neck of the woods today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee it makes me so happy to see you here! I think we all struggle with this thought from time to time. We are not forgotten however, and there is so much truth to the Lord remembering His people.

      Delete