Do not settle.
Let me repeat that: DO NOT SETTLE!!!
Do not settle in your care, in your choice of doctor, in answers given to you or in any other way in this season. This is not the time to accept less than best.
We struggled under the care of a passive and lazy doctor for 4 months in the midst of Ryan's worst health. He was slow to action, very indifferent about Ryan's health, and always lacking in answers. He wasted our time and prolonged Ryan's suffering.
On this subject, a British woman recently experienced doctors missing her cancer THIRTY times-and suffered needlessly for months. Unfortunately, her battle ended tragically but yours doesn't have to. This story is worth reading to light a fire under our bums to take swift and necessary action! I share it because I want you to be aggressive with your care and start doubting poor medical action.
On this subject, a British woman recently experienced doctors missing her cancer THIRTY times-and suffered needlessly for months. Unfortunately, her battle ended tragically but yours doesn't have to. This story is worth reading to light a fire under our bums to take swift and necessary action! I share it because I want you to be aggressive with your care and start doubting poor medical action.
That being said, if I could tell you one thing about this journey in your health crisis or chronic illness battle...simply do not settle. This is what I wish I would have known:
Figure out where the knowledge base around your disease is. Which city? Which doctor? Which hospital? Try to be in touch with them or even better, go there!
Who is the specialist in your city? Ask for recommendations, and referrals from doctor's and those close to you.
One thing I wish we would have done was ask about specialities and areas of expertise. We worked with an excellent general surgeon for several surgeries, but in hindsight Ryan needed a highly specialized colorectal surgeon. Someone skilled in his area of need. Ask questions!
Just overall, do not settle for mediocrity in your care. Be constantly evaluating if this is a high level of care, and if there is positive change happening. We would have often answered "no" to both questions before we switched care but honestly did not know we even had choices or a standard we could set.
Please do not settle. Be an advocate for your spouse or yourself for longterm health and to get out of this horrible season or at least see progress in some way.
Get it? Got it? Good!
Pull out your "claws" if you have to--but try to be nice.
With JOY,
Ryan & Carly
No comments:
Post a Comment